In this video we will explore the carnival of cultures in Berlin, The largest street festival in Berlin. And I will share with you my thoughts about it and my criticism about this event.
Also, me and my good friend Jin are going to show you how to make Zongzi, a traditional chinese food for the Dragon Boat Festival in China. We will also talk with you about our traditions and holidays that are taking place at this time of the year.
Read more about the carnival of cultures here:
Recipe for Zongzi:
Makes approx. 12 Zongzi
30 - 35 bamboo leaves
3 cups glutinous rice
400g pork shoulder
1/2 cup dried shrimp
1 cup dried mushrooms
4 shallots, chopped and fried
2 Tbsp. cane sugar
1/4 tsp. five spice powder
1/4 cup of dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp of light soy sauce
4 Tbsp of rice cooking wine
Recommended to prepare a day before:
1) Clean the bamboo leaves and soak in warm water for about 30 min.
After that, boil the leaves in a large cooking pot with salt and vinegar (this step is for sanitation and for removing bad flavours from the dried leaves).
Rinse the leaves in cold water and save in the fridge for the next day.
2) Soak the dried shrimps and mushrooms in water for the night.
3) Prepare the filling: fry the shallots until golden brown, add the pork and soaked shrimps. Fry until cooked. Add the rice wine and reduce the liquid. Add the soy sauce, five spice powder and sugar. Cook until caramelized.
4) prepare the rice: Clean the glutinous rice very very (very) good! And fry with vegetable oil. Put in a large bowl and add 4Tbsp od dark soy sauce, 2 Tbsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp of salt. Mix well and rest for at least 10 minutes.
5) Assemble the Zongzi as shown in the video, Boil for 1.5 hours and enjoy!